Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Side Note 1: New Watercolor Palette!

My Old Palette:

My New Palette(s):

My palette has increased!!! My old palette was a hodgepodge of mixed and polluted colors, most of which I only had the scarcest remains of. Starting from the middle right and going around counter clockwise the colors are approximately: Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine Violet, either Burnt or Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, Payne's Gray, some mix of Indigo and Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Ochre, and 3 different yellows all of which I believe were polluted versions of Gamboge. The center was a mix of Viridian, Hooker's Green, and Gamboge. Basically the whole thing was a mess and I didn't have enough space for my colors, and some colors I didn't even know what they were. Also out of all of those colors the only ones I had more supply of were Alizarin Crimson, Dioxazine Violet, Payne's Gray, and Gamboge.

Then, a couple of months ago my beautiful amazing mother bought me Hooker's Green, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Lamp Black! I don't remember the last time I painted with an actual blue color besides Indigo, and don't get me wrong I love the dark richness of Indigo but I've been yearning for a nice pure blue color. I was also down to the dregs of my burnt sienna, so it was nice to breath a sigh of relief having some backup. Unfortunately though I didn't have any room on my palette and I also decided I didn't want to mix the new colors with the old since most of the old colors had become quite polluted.

Then just a couple days ago I went to a different art store that had an amazing supply of watercolors so I quickly snatched up all of the necessities I was almost out of!!! (Viridian, Indigo, Yellow Ochre, and Burnt Umber). I also bought two nice clean palettes so I could have plenty of space for my colors and I was able to separate them approximately into cool and warm colors. My total supply of water color paints can be seen below.

The Paints:

I feel so spoiled now! I used to have 10ish weird polluted/mixed colors and now I have 13 beautiful hues including a 'real' color blue and 3 lovely shades of green (my favorite color).


In clockwise order I have: Cool - Dioxazine Violet, Lamp Black, Payne's Gray, Indigo, Ultramarine Blue, Viridian, Hooker's Green Dark, and Hooker's Green Light; Warm - Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Alizarin Crimson, Gamboge Yellow, Yellow Ochre.

Plus plenty of mixing space (now that the center isn't an 11th color well) and room for more colors ;)

I'm still going to use up the paint on my old palette, but I'm super excited about all of my new colors and space. The only thing I forgot was that it would've been nice to have a covered palette so that the paint chips don't come off, so I'm actually going to try to design a 3D printed palette cover for my new palettes, and I also have plants for a palette/paint carrier to hold the palettes level and to keep all of my paint in the same spot, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment